Responsibility and RequirementsView page
The main responsibility of the Board of Listers is to appraise property within the town for the purpose of property tax assessment. Generally speaking, assessment equity is the degree to which assessments bear a consistent relationship to market value.
Many of the Listers activities have requirements from the State of Vermont concerning timing, notification and format, as well as substance, which must be adhered to strictly.
- The assessment date of all property is April 1 of each year.
- Homestead Declarations are required annually and must be filed by April 15.
- Change of assessment notices were mailed in early June.
- Grievances must be filed within 14 days after the notice.
NOTICE: The Grievance Meetings for the town of Middletown Springs, VT will be held
in the Town Clerk’s Office in Middletown Springs on: TBA
Dates for grievance hearings are listed on the change of assessment notices and, as required, are posted in five other places. In 2015 these include the Town Clerk’s office, post office, library, Grant’s Store and the town website.
Homestead Declarations are required annually and must be filed with the Vermont Tax Department by April 15. If you are a Vermont resident and own and occupy a Vermont dwelling as your principal residence on April 1, 2015, you must file Form HS-122. The Declaration is necessary so that your property is charged the residential tax rate and is a prerequisite to a Property Tax Adjustment.
Property Tax Adjustment eligibility is based on homesite value and your income. Generally an adjustment is not available to households whose income is $105,000 or more. Use form HS-122, Sect. B.
Eligibility for Property Tax Adjustment is as follows:
- You must have been a Vermont resident all of calendar year 2014.
- You must not have been claimed as a dependent for tax year 2014.
- You owned and occupied the property as your principal residence on April 1, 2015.
To reach the Board of Listers, please leave a message the Town Office at 235-2220 or email us at email@example.com
Sally Achey, Chairman